A federal judge on Monday ruled former president Trump likely committed crimes when he ‘attempted to obstruct’ Congress on January 6, 2021.

US District Judge David Carter, a Clinton appointee ruled that Trump “more likely than not” committed felony obstruction.

“Based on the evidence, the Court finds it more likely than not that President Trump corruptly attempted to obstruct the Joint Session of Congress on January 6, 2021,” the judge wrote, according to ABC News.

Earlier this month the January 6 Committee said Trump may have engaged in criminal conduct to overturn the 2020 election.

TRENDING: WATCH: Will Smith Rushes Oscar Stage And Socks Chris Rock In The Face For Insulting His Wife

“Evidence and information available to the Committee establishes a good-faith belief that Mr. Trump and others may have engaged in criminal and/or fraudulent acts,” the committee said in a court filing.

The filing was submitted in federal court in Los Angeles as part of a legal fight with John Eastman, a lawyer who has represented Trump.

Eastman sued the January 6 panel in December in an effort to block a subpoena seeking emails.

Judge David Carter in a ruling on Monday ordered John Eastman to turn over nearly all documents and said Trump likely committed crimes.

ABC News reported:

A federal judge has found that former President Donald Trump “more likely than not” committed felony obstruction in the effort to overturn the 2020 presidential election.

U.S District Judge David Carter said in the ruling that Trump’s former lawyer John Eastman must turn over most documents he is withholding from the Jan. 6 House committee investigating the attack on the U.S Capitol.

Judge Carter, who reviewed Eastman’s documents, ordered Eastman to turn over all but ten that the court found privileged.

The judge, a Clinton appointee, provided a summary of several documents Eastman has sought to block.

“The eleventh document is a chain forwarding to Dr. Eastman a draft memo written for President Trump’s attorney Rudy Giuliani,” Carter wrote. “The memo recommended that Vice President Pence reject electors from contested states on January 6. This may have been the first time members of President Trump’s team transformed a legal interpretation of the Electoral Count Act into a day-by-day plan of action.”





Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here